Life is not a bed of roses (Short Story)


It was a nice evening. In a lovely garden on a small bench Sansala was reading a book, sunken in deep thoughts.
“Sansala ……. Sansala …..”It was her friend, Sachini.
“Hey Sansala can’t you hear ah?” Sachini wondered at the silence of her.
“Hello Sansala…..”Sachini spoke out coming to where Sansala was seated and tapped her shoulder.
“Ha… oh God Sachini you. When did you come?” she asked.
“I think ten minutes ago. I called you, mmmm didn’t you hear” she asked.
“Really, I didn’t hear you. Sorry dear really I was reading this book deeply really sorry dear” she begged her pardon.
“Oh it’s okay dear. Do you know tomorrow is our function in the college? So are you ready or…..still drowning in your book?”
“No, no just now, just now I finished practices so I wanted to rest. I preferred reading”
“Oh! At what time you came to read?”She asked her.
“At about 3.00,” she replied calmly.
“Hey girl, it is almost six o’clock now! Sachini pointed out.
“Ha … six oh God” she asked her with a shock.
Sansala ran to the door and turned to Sachini.
“Sachini see you tomorrow dear” and then she opened the door and went to her room, took a wash quickly came to her table and sat on her chair on the table there were some papers, she took then and started to read it loudly.
“Dear teachers….” she as reading her announcement which she was to say tomorrow.
Next day morning she got ready to go to school. Sansala is the only child to her parents. They loved her very much. She is twenty-two years old. She likes to become graduate in the field of IT and to continue her studies in abroad.
“Get up my sweet girl….. Sansala where are you dear?” her mom called her lovingly and entered the bed room but Sansala wasn’t there in the bed room. It was unusual as Sansala would get up late... few minutes later she heard a voice.
“Mom your honey is here……”It was Sansala’s voice. She hugged her mother and kissed her.
“Sansala, where are you going to go dear?”Her mother asked
“Mom, there is a function in the school today, I have to go early” Sansala replied.
“Ok dear…… did you have your breakfast?”
“Mmmmm….yes, oh mom, see you, if I get late come, bye” saying so she moved to go.
Sansala went to the school. She participated in the ceremony. It was an excellent one indeed. After it finished, she went to the class with her friend Sachini. Sahil too came there. He eagerly chatted with Sansala. When they were chatting suddenly Sahil said that he is in love with her. Sansala kept silent and looked down. Certainly, she too was in love with him, but never spoke about that, since she was very shy and timid.
Hence, a week later Sansala told Sahil that if he loves her, come to her home and ask for her hand in marriage from her parents. He agreed. Later he decided to propose after they finish their final exam in the college.
Thus, months went on…. They both studied well and got through the exam with flying colors. Yes, now the time has come and he went to Sansala’s house. He asked Sansala’s hand in marriage from her parents with due respects. Sahil too came from a respectable family. They also agreed to give Sansala in marriage to him without any reluctance. It was really a happy moment; it was a surprise for him.
Four months later, as expected, Sansala got a scholarship to go to London to continue her higher studies in IT. It was a bitter sweet-moment for Sansala, Sahil and her parents. They felt sad as they had to leave her for whole two years.
Thus, the day come for her to depart from her beloved ones. Early in the morning she got ready to go to the airport. At that moment somebody knocked the door. “Yes, come in” she called. It was Sahil with a parcel in his hand for Sansala. She took it on her hand and asked,
“What is this Sahil?”
“It is a gift; whenever you see it, you will remember me” 
She opened it; really it was a very lovely gift. It was a picture of both of them. Framed beautifully with a beautiful poem written on it. Tough it was in few lines it carries an ocean of meanings.
“Sansala…..we meet each other
And leave…..
Even if we be with true love
And leave; our hearts won’t miss or forget each other,
I hope and I like to see you always smiling
And to be happy until my last breath
Even……after my death.”
Yours loving,
Soul,
Sahil.
These words of him moved her. She began to cry.
“Hey Sansala what happen I told don’t cry just be happy okay, stop crying” he wiped her tears and took her bags and went to the airport.
 “Sansala……” Sahil called her.
“Hamm….” She turned.
Sahil took Sansala’s hand and said
“Sansala be happy always…. Promise me that you won’t worry and cry, promise me please”
“Okay Sahil ill promise you that I will always be happy, as you will always there for me. I am sure that you will be with me wherever I go.” She spoke with a pleasant smile in her face.
Few minutes later it was announced that the London plane is going to take off. he made herself ready to bid farewell. 
She hugged her mom and dad. They cried because Sansala is the one and only child to them. It was the first time that they are going to be without her.
Days and months went fast.  One morning Sahil got up and got ready to go to an important work, so he hurried and came out from his room and came to the hall. Abruptly he yelled touching hi head, his father and mother came towards him with a great shock, and called out “Sahil…. Sahil …” but there was no response from him as he trembled in pain.
Immediately they took him to the hospital. The doctors admitted him in the emergency ward and started checking him, and hurried to the ICU room. Finally, a doctor came from the theater room. His mother ran to the doctor and asked,
“Doctor what happened to my son?” he didn’t answer her,
“Why doctor please tell me” she was begging.
After hearing the doctor’s words, she was shocked, she couldn’t even stand still.
Few minutes later a nurse came from the ICU room and called his mother “Excuse me the patient is calling his mother please come in...” 
 She ran inside and sat nearby him. His eyes were closed but still the tears were rolling from his eyes. He murmured something. His mother pet his head slowly and called him
“Sahil…. Sahil…son open your eyes darling.” Slowly and slowly he opened his eyes “Mothe..r” he said with pain. “Mo…th…er...san…sala?”
“She doesn’t know about this dear.” His mother answered.
“Moth…r…. do...nt…te...ll my sit…uatio…n to…he..r” his mother started to cry she couldn’t say anything.
After two days Sansala called Sahil and was puzzled at his silence. Then she called her mother.
“Hello good morning mom I wanted to tell you a happy news” she said. But her mother didn’t answer her properly “Hmmm…”
“Mm mm ok, mom tomorrow I am coming to Sri Lanka because we got the vacation. And I am really happy mom. Oh…. I forgot to ask… mom where is Sahil how many times I called him to tell this surprise but no response from him. Is he busy?”
“Sansala I had lots of work these days, after you come I’ll tell you  ...Bye dear”
“Mom….mom… Hamm I think she couldn’t speak because of happiness” she murmured to herself.
Next day morning her parents went to the airport to pick her.  Her first question was “Mom where is Sahil?” her mother didn’t tell her anything.
“He is at home. Come dear let’s go” her father answered. After she reached home first she called Sahil, but he wasn’t there. All were there except him. She asked her mom about Sahil. Her mom couldn’t hide the matter. She told with sadness.
“He is not well dear he is in the hospital”
“Mom why didn’t you tell me about that ah?” she asked with anger.” What happened to him…tell me…”
“Dear I don’t know how to tell…. Sansala really….. Suddenly we got to know that Sahil is suffering from brain cancer.” Her father told.
“What? Brain cancer? To my Sahil? No no you are lying “she shouted and drove the car to the hospital.
She ran to his room, she went couldn’t stop crying. Sahil was in the ICU room. She went near to him and clasped his hand, “Sahil darling your Sansala has come please open your eyes, nothing will happen to you, I am with you, please open your eyes” she cried
Slowly and slowly he opened his eyes and smiled, “Sa…nsa…la… yo…u ca…me….? I knew you would”.
“Yes dear I came don’t worry now I am here with you” Sahil’s condition was deteriorating. He couldn’t even speak. But he tried to speak with Sansala and told, “ Sa…n….sa…la…..  ca…n    yo…u   re…me…mbe…r….   be…fo…re   yo..u   go… you…. Pro…mis..sed   me ahhhhh tha…t  yo…u  wo…nt    cr….y  ev….en   af…ter  my de….ath?” and he wiped her tears his with his hand and said “Sa…ns…ala…..   pl…ea…se  do..nt  cr..y pl…ea…se  sm..ile  fo…r me” it was the last wish of him. A faint smile appeared on her face but her cheeks were wet with rolling tears.
(Author: SJ)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wandering cloud. (Short story)

Hopeless (Short story)

Matches are made in heaven. (Short Story)