The wandering cloud. (Short story)


 

As the sun rose on a change landscape only dry dead branches shiver in the early morning wind.  Malinda went to the window, his face seemed very dull and eyes were looking as if he was searching for something eagerly that he couldn’t even find. He couldn’t sleep the whole night. He remembered the only love of his life, the one who he was dying for, the one who he gave the entire life for, the one who he appreciated the most, the one who he wanted to hold and walk forever and ever. He looked at the sky where the clouds were moving aimlessly, wondering where to go. It exactly seemed similar to the present situation of him.

It was an autumn time. It was a day which the trees in the garden shaking its lovely green leaves with the help of the smooth air. The birds were chirping and flying here and there enjoying themselves. The buzzing of the bees and the movement of the beautiful butterflies in search of the colorful flowers to suck the honey from was indeed a great delight. Some children were running, laughing and playing happily.

Malindha sat alone sunken on an interesting novel under the “Ahala” tree full of yellow hanging flowers which swing to the breeze slowly. He sat absorbed in the book for sometimes, suddenly his eyes caught a sight of a very beautiful figure among all these beauties. He saw a very beautiful curvy figure playing among the bushes in the garden.

She was looking very charming and lovely. She was laughing and playing with the kids. Her behaviors were childish and indeed cute. Seeing her, his eye lids never met for a second; more than looking by his eyes, his soul was appreciating her. Even it was for a second it felt a decade for him.

Suddenly a hand held his shoulder that disturbed his soul from appreciating the beauty,

“Hey buddy, where were you ah?! Seemed you were not in earth, how long I was calling you? Couldn’t you hear me?” it was his friend Gayan, asking him smiling.

“Sorry machan” he apologized.

“It’s okay machan, shall we leave now? I have some work to be done before going home” he walked further talking to Malindha.

As Malindha was closing his book which he was sunken in, his eyes were wondering here and there searching for something which he was not sure for what he was searching. He stood and started to walk forward and still his eyes were searching for the figure which his eyes caught. His eyes couldn’t find her. It was a great disappointment to him. She had disappeared as an angle unexpectedly.

After he reached home, wherever he went, whatever he did that sight of the girl obsessed him in the mind, he was thinking why always that girl crossed his mind. He felt rather strange feelings towards her. Indeed, he has fallen in love with her.

“Oh god, unknown girl, no name, and no address I don’t know anything about her, she is just a shadow I saw” he murmured to himself “…at one side how can I love her? That is impossible. It can’t be so. Only one day I saw her, and only for some seconds. Again, where will I see her? Ohh you idiot” he hit his head smiling.

Four days passed, Malindha went to a restaurant with his friends, it was a joyful day, Malindha tented to be alone. After the meal he went to the cashier to pay the bill. Unexpectedly someone came near by him and saying in a hurry,

“Excuse me sir, can I pay the bill first, it is very urgent please please pleaseee…” she said in a hurry.

Seeing her he was frozen he couldn’t even spit a word he was looking at her knowing nothing to do.

As she paid the bill and moved away. She felt that someone was following her, as she turned, she found Malindha following her, she smiled not caring as she opened her car door she heard a sound  behind her,

“Excuse me, miss!!!”

Holding the car door handle she turned,

“Yes?” she asked him calmly.

“Hmmm…I think you have forgotten your phone all along with your wallet, check, is it yours?” he asked.

 “Oops….” She took the phone and wallet which were on his hand,

“Thank you Mr.……” she paused without knowing his name.

“I am Malindha.” he said

“Thank you Mr. Malindha.” she thanked him.

“No mention” he smiled…. “Any way what’s your name?” he continued.

“I am Sayuri” she answered.

“Nice to meet you Sayuri. We shall meet again?” he asked looking at her uncomfortably.

“You want us to meet me again? But, why?” she asked with wonder.

“I don’t know, I am sorry if I’ve asked something wrong” he hesitated and continued “I just felt to ask you, so please if we could meet at this same restaurant, would you?”

“Hmmm… Ok, tomorrow in this restaurant at lunch time I’ll come” she continued getting into the car and conformed before Malindha replies her.

She opened the car shutter, “Tomorrow for lunch okay?” and she smiled driving away.

Next day afternoon Malindha was waiting for Sayuri. As he looked at the door, he saw her entering the restaurant, on a beautiful cute yellow gown wearing a red bracelet a pair of cute little red ear rings and a thin gold chain with a small hear pendant hanging on it. He was admiring her beauty without blinking his eyes. Her eyes were searching for him, once her eyes caught him, she smiled and headed to the table where he was sitting.

“Hi!” She raised her hand.

Even though it was their first meeting, it seemed liked they have known each other for so ling. They talked for hours. It became an intimate conversation gradually. They talked to hearts content and shared many things. Really wonderful, within a day they became very intimate friends.

“Ok Malindha I have to go now,” she said.

From the day they met each other, they used to text and talk over the phone. They got to know each other very well. Malindha felt that he fell for her more than before. He wanted to express his love to her, and turn their friendship into marriage. He messaged her to meet him at the “Golden Beach”. She really accepted the invitation.

“Hey hi!” she waved,

“Hi!” he replied,

“So, how are you?” she asked,

“I am good….” He paused, “I want to tell you something” and continued.

 

“Why Malindha any problem?” she asked.

“No no….” he hesitated,

“Hey Malindha, tell me nothing will happen tell me.” She asked with curiosity. He looked at her beautiful eyes for sometimes.

“Ok…,” he began “Sayuri from the day I saw you…..” he paused.

She was looking at him till he continued,

“From the day I saw you ……. I fell in love with you, and I am sure about it.” He continued without knowing what would happen.

She smiled and she couldn’t stop smiling as if she was waiting for his proposal,

“Really, I don’t know what to say” she held his hands and continued, “I love you too, and I tried to tell you several times but I was afraid that you won’t accept it” she was at the top of the world. He was surprised. He couldn’t believe his ears. It was like a dream.

They continued their relationship, and spent happy moments together. They informed about their relationship to their parents. They both were ready to go to the next step in their life. For the day they will be together forever, and build their dreams together, and live together forever.

Building a dream house, both live in love, care and happiness with little kids and look after them. Little fights between them, sharing happiness and sadness. All these things were running in Malindha’s mind, until he came out from the dream world shaken by the ringing tone of his phone. He answered the call. Suddenly he dropped the phone and ran out; he started his car and hurried to the hospital.

“Doctor what happened to my Sayuri? How is she now? Please tell me doctor please.” he asked almost crying.

“Calm down Mr. Malindha” he said patting his sholder.

“We did whatever we could, but the condition of the patient is very serious. I think you should go and talk to her,” the doctor replied.

Malindha entered the ICU and clasped Sayuri’s hands and spoke to her. Her cheeks were rolling with tears, and she breathed very hardly in pain.

“Sayuri …….. Sayuri ……. Please look at me… dear please …. Look at me...” he cried caressing her head.

She kept her hand on Malindha’s cheek “Malindha you came mhhh now I can go happily…” she said and paused. As her hands moved from his cheeks and eyes closed. Malindha couldn’t tell anything he cried a lot. Malindha had to live a life of isolation and solicitude.

“Malindha…..Malindha…son come and have your meal dear” it was his mother. Suddenly he shivered; his past memories vanished at once. He had lost himself to oblivion. He came back to his present moment. Hiruni came to his room with a plate of rice. She asked Malindha to eat, but he refused. Hence, Hiruni had to cajole and persuade as if to a small child. And Hiruni fed him the food. She is his cousin sister. She knows him from her child hood. They were best friends.

Hiruni wanted to change Malinda’s condition. She used to stay with him and accompany him wherever he went. Many times, she tried to make him speak but only the word which comes from his lips is “Sayuri”, Sayuri was not only a dream in his life, but his soul lived with her.

One day morning Hiruni took Malindha and went to the garden. She sat with him on the bench under the same “Ahala” tree, and looked at him to tell something,

“Malindha I am your best friend, why don’t you share the things which you have in you and release them at least to relax your mind and soul” She said. 

But he didn’t convey even a word. Hiruni couldn’t say anything further, she stood from the place she was sitting to leave, suddenly she felt that someone is holding her hand, as she turned and found Malindha holding her looking at her someone hold her hand and said,

“Please don’t leave me alone. Please I beg you….be with me until I die.” He said.

Hiruni was surprised with his strange word. She sat beside him and asked,

“Malindha now tell me …. Tell me…”he tried to say something but he stopped.

“Hiruni really I lost whom I loved as my soul and more. I had many dreams; I built many dreams to live togather” he said “but at last in one minute everything vanished” thus, Malindha showed a cloud in the sky and continued “Look at that cloud Hiruni I am also like that. I don’t know what to do and where to go now” he said “But all these days I felt your love towards me I saw it in your eyes, and I know that you are in love with me.”

Even though she didn’t convey her love towards him, inside she was in love with him.

“Malindha I tried to bring you back from your past, I wanted the Malindha who was the happiest funniest, who never things about sadness, after all I can’t leave you Malindha, I won’t leave you alone I’ll be with you till my death.” Malindha felt alive hearing these words.

Author:SJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hopeless (Short story)

Matches are made in heaven. (Short Story)