Hopeless (Short story)

Rohini came from the school crying. She went to her room & closed the door. But no one knows what happened to her.
“Really I love you Rohini I can’t live without you please…. understand me.” these words were echoing in her.
Rohini comes from a well-to-do family. She studied in her village school until her ordinary level. After her o/l exam she went to Colombo, to an International school. She is a very beautiful and a very hearty girl. She is very softhearted girl, and also trusts everyone blindly.
When she was doing her o/ls, a boy named Mahesh loved her. He was a poor boy. He was an year elder than her. He troubled her very much. After that he asked help from Thilini. Thilini told about the matter but Rohini didn’t love him. She didn’t know the meaning of life even. Because she didn’t like the love. But later she started to love him. And she trusted him. They loved each other for one whole year. However, her love towards Mahesh became an enforced one.
Years went on…… One day her friend told her that Mahesh is not loved her sincerely, he loves her wealth. Rohini felt very sad she didn’t think that he was cheating her.
Next day morning Rohini went to school early, there she met Mahesh. She asked about the matter. But he lied.
“Mahesh please don’t lie. Please tell me the truth… I know that you don’t love me & that you love my richness. Please if so tell me I want to know!” She wanted to control herself but she couldn’t.
“No Rohini really I love you I told you about that.”
“OK. I’ll believe.”
Days went on … Rohini faced many problems in her school & village. She couldn’t study well. One day Rohini heard that Mahesh is in love with another girl. Of course, this was true. Mahesh said.
“Yes, Rohini I feel that our love affair is not a real one. It is just teenage love so I felt that I do not love you. But really I am madly in love with that girl……”
Rohini felt upset as well as shocked. She didn’t ever think that he played with her life.
Days by day her life filled with tears. However, she didn’t stop her studies. She sat for the exam & passed it with flying colors.
After her o\l’s her parents planned to admit her to a leading school in Colombo. It was a mixed school. Rohini continued her studies there, but she was different from others. She spent her time in loneliness without speaking much with anybody. At that time Ridma entered her life… he moved with her as a good friend & he liked her behaviors very much.
Months went on… one day they were engaged in an intimate conversation. Ridma asked.
“You are a very softhearted girl, aren’t you?”
“Yes…” she answered.
“I think you are getting hurt very soon?”
“Yes…. but if I am hurt by anyone, I’ll punish myself. I won’t tell anything to anyone and I don’t know why I am like this ……”
“You are a wonderful girl Rohini…. you know why?”
“Why?”
“Because if others get hurt, they will take revenge from them but you are a different character….”
“Mmmmm….”
“You know what Rohini, I’ll tell you something don’t misunderstand me okay?”
“okay proceed” she said calmly.
“Mmmmmm…. I…. I…I don’t know will you accept it or not …but I…. I think…. I am in love with you Rohini”
“Ridma are you kidding ah?” She remarked.
“No dear this is real…understand me please”
“No Ridma you know that I hate love & I don’t like to love because it is only cheating ourselves. So please leave that topic. I don’t like to speak about love, even I don’t like to remind that word …love…. please”
After that she left the place.
“Hey Rohini …please wait understand me.”
The next morning Ridma met Rohini. He asked forgiveness from her.
“Please Rohini forgive me. Really, I LOVE YOU because of that only me said it to you. If you don’t like it’s okay, just leave it.”
“Okay Ridma if you can be a good friend to me its fine otherwise, I am so sorry…” she said & went to her class room.
In the same class there was a boy called Gayan. He also was a friend of rohini.
“Hi Rohini how are you?” Gayan asked.
“Hi, doing good what about you?”
“Yah, good” he replied.
“Rohini …. Really I want to speak with you so….”
“So …? So what?”
“So can we meet under the Ahala Tree? Today?”
“Mmmmm ….OK but when?”
“During the interval.”
“OK….”she agreed.
The bell rang & Rohini went to meet Gayan. He was waiting for her.
“Gayan what is the matter?” She asked.
“Rohini I want to tell you something but please accept it….” Gayan requested.
“What is that?” Rohini asked.
“First promise me that you will accept it …”
“Gayan ….first tell the matter, after that we will see whether I can accept it or not...”
“No no no you accept it first…”he claimed.
“OK tell it first …. what is the matter?” she asked with curiosity.
“No Rohini ……. I LOVE YOU ……& I LOVE YOU than my soul so please accept my love.”Gayan pleaded.
“No Gayan please doesn’t expect such a thing from me. I don’t like to love, I hate it please….”
“OK you don’t love me & I won’t force you but tomorrow look what will happen OK ….” And he left the place & went to class.
Next day morning when Rohini was coming to the school she saw Gaya’s hand was bandaged. All were enquiring him about that matter. Rohini also approached him and asked…
“Why Gayan what happened to your hand?”
“I told you that I LOVE YOU but you didn’t love me so I cut my hand. If you don’t believe me, I’ll cut my other hand also.”
“Hey are you crazy?” Rohini cried out.
“Then love me …. feel my love…. please…” he started to plead
“NO Gayan….”
“What no… If not, you know what will happen…”
“Ohhh God…. okay…okay I LOVE YOU…is it enough or you want more….?” She went crying.
Days went on …. Gayan loved her, but he wanted her always to be with him. But Rohini wanted to study. He was a disturbance to her studies. She also couldn’t study. She also had to be with him. And unknowingly she falls in love with him. It became a sincere love. But no one knows about their love affair, even Ridma didn’t know about it.
One day Ridma said to Rohini ….
“Rohini …. Do you know Gayan?”
“Mmmmm…why?”
“No, I heard that Gayan is playing with girls’ life and he makes girls trust him easily….”
After hearing this Rohini was shocked….
“and you know …he is a bad boy sometimes he will do whatever he wants and cheat the girls. Easily girls will be cheated by him. He is such a dangerous character.”
Rohini kept silent she didn’t tell anything.
“Hey Rohini what happened why are you silent dear anything wrong?”
“Ah no no nothing I think my head is aching want to go, excuse me Ridma see you later.”
 Sunday morning Ridma’s phone was ringing …. It was Rohini…….
“Hello…Good morning Rohini…”
“Hello Ridma I want to meet you today at the beach at six evening “and she held the phone.
“Hello…. Hello… Rohini…. Hello…”
 Evening six o’clock Rohini and Ridma were at the beach. Rohini told all what happened between her and Gayan Ridma was shocked.
“Rohini …. All these things happened in this short period. Why didn’t you tell me about that ah…?”
“You don’t know Ridma how I suffered inside my heart?”
“But you have to say it to me. haven’t you?”
Then Rohini turned to the sea, looking at the sun setting near the sea saying….
“You men would never understand that the women’s heart is full of secrets untold parts of her heart consists the depth of ocean.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wandering cloud. (Short story)

Matches are made in heaven. (Short Story)